* Information

Join A.C.E.S     Connect to our Teamspeak.     See our Roster

Author Topic: ACES mech build challenge #1: Yen-Lo-Wang  (Read 400 times)

Offline Cattra Kell

• Ace
  • Sprinkles: 13
  • Awards Win a 12 man game with 0 deaths on A.C.E.S side, not by caps or timer but by kil Competed in Marik II Achieved 900+ Damage in a Heavy Mech 1000+ Damage in any 'Mech Marik Campaign I
    • View Profile
    • No Guts No Galaxy
    • Awards
ACES mech build challenge #1: Yen-Lo-Wang
« on: 26 January, 2013, 10:56:47 AM »
Hello everyone,

I thought we could have a little fun by having a mech build contest where we would try to come up with some great builds for mechs.  The first challenge I thought it would be good to look at one of the mechs the community considers bad, the Yen Lo Wang.  Now since this is the first challenge I am not sure how long it should run for, perhaps two weeks?  Anyways, just try to come up with the best build you can and post the link to the build as well as its role or write up about its pros - cons or something. 

Good Luck, looking forward to see how it goes for you.

Links needed:
Default YEN-LO-WANG

Marik Campaign Competitive Stats: 64 Kills / 37 deaths / 59 Games
View this Member's Medals and Awards
Win a 12 man game with 0 deaths on A.C.E.S side, not by caps or timer but by kil Competed in Marik II Achieved 900+ Damage in a Heavy Mech 1000+ Damage in any 'Mech Marik Campaign I

Offline Kontraxe

• Jack
  • Sprinkles: 4
  • Awards 1000+ Damage in any 'Mech Competed in Marik II Achieved 350+ Damage in a Medium Mech Achieved 500+ Damage in a Locust Achieved 900+ Damage in a Heavy Mech
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: ACES mech build challenge #1: Yen-Lo-Wang
« Reply #1 on: 26 January, 2013, 11:29:44 PM »
Name:<Yen-Lo-Wang>
Chassis:<Yen-Lo-Wang>
Engine:<STD235>
Jump Jets:<N/A>
Upgrades:<Endo/FerroFibrous/DHS>
---
---
Weapons:
<AC/20, 2x MedLasers>
<Right Arm AC/20, Center Torso 2xMedLasers>
Ammo:
<AC/20 ammo (x6)>
<Right Torso x6>
---
---
Heat Sinks:10<1x DHS Left Torso, rest is in engine>
---
---
Total Armor:<302>
Head: 18
Center Torso: 38Center Torso (Rear): 24
Right Torso: 24Right Torso (Rear): 24
Left Torso: 22Left Torso (Rear): 20
Right Arm: 32Left Arm: 28
Right Leg: 38Left Leg: 38

Intended Role : <Brawler>

Discussion : While many dislike the wang, I always enjoyed it. I tried many loadouts including the Gauss Wang and the Large Pulser Laser Wang. In the end, I came back to the AC/20 because it is a very potent weapon and, well, it is what gives the Wang it's uniqueness : haven't seen anyone with an arm-mounted AC/20 around... So I basically expended on the original design until I replaced my 2 medpulse lasers with regular ones. Doing so I now have 42 rounds when I battle with Wang and I rarely run out of ammo with that setup.

Also, it runs at 81 KPH with Speed Tweak. It is a very sturdy setup.

So, this is my version of the Wang. What is yours? And Will mine win this build contest?

Offline Cattra Kell

• Ace
  • Awards Win a 12 man game with 0 deaths on A.C.E.S side, not by caps or timer but by kil Competed in Marik II Achieved 900+ Damage in a Heavy Mech 1000+ Damage in any 'Mech Marik Campaign I
    • View Profile
    • No Guts No Galaxy
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: 01 February, 2013, 03:12:58 PM »
Just a heads up; im going to call this on the 18th and thinking of making the Trebuchet contest #2 because it will be brand new and people still trying to find their way with it.

Win a 12 man game with 0 deaths on A.C.E.S side, not by caps or timer but by kil Competed in Marik II Achieved 900+ Damage in a Heavy Mech 1000+ Damage in any 'Mech Marik Campaign I

Offline Cattra Kell

• Ace
    • View Profile
    • No Guts No Galaxy
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: 12 February, 2013, 09:59:31 AM »
One week left until I call the winner and then it will be Mech Contest #2 - Trebuchet!

Offline Nedeu

• Jack
  • Sprinkles: 0
  • Awards Competed in Marik II
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: 18 February, 2013, 11:28:54 AM »
Picked up my Yen-Lo on sale in the refurb section.  I'm running with an AC20, and ER Large Laser with 5 tons of ammo and an XL-270.  I like the ER Large Laser so I can shoot from range until there is an opening to close in for the AC20 back shot(s).

Deadfire

« Reply #5 on: 18 February, 2013, 12:57:50 PM »
Deadfire's Yen-Lo-Wang

I keep the stock load out, but with upgrading to FF and Endo, I have room for a STD260(not a XL I have no idea why anyone would put one on a cent), this allows me not to need HS otherwise in the engine it's self.

Offline Nedeu

• Jack
  • Sprinkles: 0
  • Awards Competed in Marik II
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: 18 February, 2013, 03:21:14 PM »
The left and right torso are such a small profile on the Cent they don't go before my center most of the time.

Offline Cattra Kell

• Ace
    • View Profile
    • No Guts No Galaxy
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: 19 February, 2013, 02:26:19 AM »
Results will be posted upon servers going down tomorrow - Look forward to it - get HYPED

Offline Cattra Kell

• Ace
    • View Profile
    • No Guts No Galaxy
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: 19 February, 2013, 04:24:05 PM »
I think I may have to try and get one or two people to help me talk / think out winners for this because its hard to pick - but after weighing some options and looking over the builds here are the results!

Winner - Kontraxe
Out of all the stock builds I like this one the best mainly for how long it can continue to use the AC-20.  The 6 tons of AC20 ammo is what really won me over on this build - even though its not fast with a STD 235 (76.1 / 83.8 ) it moves faster then my hunchback-4SP which is still able to brawl really well and keep up to the assaults / heavies, but it will get juked by Jenners and fast lights.  Recommendations: To counter this maybe drop a ton or 2 of AC20 and bump the engine up to the next level, you should still have enough AC20 rounds at 4 tons to last in a drawn out fight.

2nd - Deadfire
I like the idea of having the faster engine, but the problem is that it came at the cost of only having 21 shots. I know the AC20 is not the fastest thing to shoot but if the fight ends up going a long time you will have to drop down to the lasers really quickly.  Recommendations: I think if the engine was bumped down one ton worth to fit one more ton of AC20 rounds then this would be a very good build.

3rd - Omigir
I really like the idea of the 2 UAC/5's but the problem is that the low ammo count won't let it be very effective in the field for long and as such you will be forced to just the lasers really quickly. Tried to remove the MPulse but due to no more crit slots left you can't add more ammo and just have 2 normal Mediums.  Good attempt, I like it a lot.

Hope everyone had a good time!  The next build challenge begins soon - next mech: 3C Trebuchet
« Last Edit: 19 February, 2013, 04:25:55 PM by Cattra Kell »

Offline Kontraxe

• Jack
  • Sprinkles: 4
  • Awards 1000+ Damage in any 'Mech Competed in Marik II Achieved 350+ Damage in a Medium Mech Achieved 500+ Damage in a Locust Achieved 900+ Damage in a Heavy Mech
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: 20 February, 2013, 07:56:06 AM »
thank you for choosing my version! I will most certainly try to exchange one or 2 tons of ammo for a faster engine or maybe even a case for increased security.